At some age or another, every girl wants Cher’s rotating designer closet from Clueless. Then we grow up a little and realize that those designer duds she wore to Bronson Alcott High? They cost money. A lot of it. That’s why we’re always looking for ways to emulate high-end styles that won’t crush our bank accounts—and that, you know, we can actually wear outdoors.
Enter Key to Chic blogger Melissa Poster, who was so enamored by the embellished sport sandals that Miuccia Prada sent down the Spring 2014 runway that she decided to create her own version. “I’m intrigued by the mix of glam and athletic functionality,” she says. “Since I live by the beach and I enjoy an active lifestyle, my jeweled Teva sandals are the perfect way for me to merge my love of fashion and fitness.” Cher would be, like, so jealous.
-One package of flat-backed jewels (available at craft stores). I got mine at Michael’s for less than $8.
-One pair of Teva Originals in your favorite color
-Aleen’s Jewel-It embellishing glue
-Newspaper or paper towels to protect your workspace
1. Arrange your jewels by size, color and shape. Group similar jewels together so you can plan your design and select your favorites.
2. Decide where you want to place your jewels on the straps. You can cluster smaller ones together for a Prada-inspired look, or space larger ones more evenly for a symmetrical look.
3. Apply a small amount of glue to the back of the jewel. Use just enough to make a thin layer to cover the back of the jewel’s surface.
4. Press and hold the jewel onto its desired place for about a minute. Use a cotton swab to clean up any glue that spills over the edges before it dries. While that jewel dries, start on the other shoe.
5. Repeat until desired pattern is achieved. Check to make sure all the jewels are securely attached. Allow 24 hours to dry completely before wearing.